A burst pipe anywhere in the home is a nightmare for many homeowners, yet it happens throughout the country every year. The recent cold snap is proof that many homeowners are not confident in how to react in the event a pipe bursts in their home. Here is what you should do if this unfortunate situation happens at your house.
Know the Signs
First, it’s critical to understand the indicators that a pipe has burst in your home. While many people associate a burst pipe with water pouring into the basement, there are other signs that can indicate something is wrong. Some of them include:
- Water pressure that fluctuates for no apparent reason
- Pipes making noises behind the walls
- Sudden increases in your water bill
- Puddles under the sink
- Water that appears to be rusty, discolored, or has a different odor than usual
What To Do If a Pipe Bursts
- If a pipe bursts in your home, you should act fast and start by turning off the water. The faster that you can shut off the main water supply to your home, the easier it will be for you to avoid serious water damage. Most homeowners have their water shut-off valve in the basement, in a crawlspace beneath the house, or near the water heater.
- After you have turned off the main water supply to your house, open all of the faucets. When a pipe bursts, there will still be water left behind in the pipe that is vulnerable to freezing. By opening the faucets, you will drain any remaining water and help reduce the pressure on your system to lessen the chance of other areas freezing as well.
- Next, you should try to determine where the burst pipe is located. Be cautious when looking around and check for signs like a sagging ceiling or paint bubbles. Depending on where the pipe is, you might be able to place a bucket underneath to catch excess water.
- Contact the professionals at Master Plumbing. We will be able to promptly travel to your home and start the repair process so that you can be on the road to recovery.
Avoid Pipe Bursts and Other Plumbing Issues With Master Plumbing
Give Master Plumbing a call at (301) 650-9100, or contact us online to get more information on how our expert plumbers can help you with just about anything plumbing-related! We have received Angie’s List Super Service Award recognition for plumbing and drain cleaning every year since 2007, in addition to the Best Plumber award from Best of Bethesda. We are fully licensed, bonded, and insured, and our service is unparalleled. Give us a call today—you won’t regret it! To see examples of our projects, follow us on Facebook and Twitter!